The Long Island Railroad

T-8 (1)_1.jpg

Title

The Long Island Railroad

Description

The original LIRR station and freight house located just west of Main Street (25a) in Cumsewogue.  The name was changed to Echo a few years later and eventually Port Jefferson Station.  Note the fence behind the engine denoting the end of the tracks at Main Street.  The line was later extended to Wading River.  The railroad arrived in 1873 and was a boon to the local economy.

Rights

Photograph courtesy of the Kenneth Brady Collection

Format

JPEG

Collection

Citation

“The Long Island Railroad,” Comsewogue Local History, accessed February 22, 2024, https://localhistory.cplib.org/items/show/27.