Unit Brick & Tile Company

unit brick photo_1.jpg


Unit Brick & Tile Company


This pioneering company was located east of Union Street just south of the LIRR tracks in Port Jefferson Station. The factory opened in 1910 and was one of the largest concerns of its kind on Long Island. It could manufacture 12,600 U-shaped concrete blocks (size - 10"x8"x2") in a day. The emerging use of these fireproof concrete bricks was considered more economical and safe than wood construction. Several buildings and homes on Long Island were constructed of these unit bricks and some still stand today. One can be found at the east end of Hallock Avenue on the north side, as well as the Garden City post office


Photograph compliments of the Comsewogue Public Library Archive





“Unit Brick & Tile Company,” Comsewogue Local History, accessed December 5, 2023, https://localhistory.cplib.org/items/show/19.